A road trip like Great Southern Touring Route will deliver plenty of fun experiences for each member of the family. Dip your toe in the ocean, climb a lighthouse, zip line through the tree-tops, pat some wildlife, climb a mountain, spot a whale and journey back in time to the 1850’s gold rush. This holiday will provide memories that never fade.
- Cruise down to the spectacular waterfront in Geelong and spend the day strolling around landscaped gardens, public artworks and seaside boardwalks. Grab an ice cream with the kids, ride the historic carousel or jump onto a Segway, what a fun way to see the waterfront.
- If surfing is anyone’s passion you can visit the Australian National Surfing Museum in Torquay.
- All down the coast, the history of the Great Ocean Road is alive with tales of terrible shipwrecks, colonial struggles and maritime mysteries. Learn about the region's colourful heritage at lighthouses and museums across the region.
- Visit the Aireys Inlet lighthouse for some amazing views.
- Have some zip line thrills at Lorne’s Live Wire Park.
- Look out over the raging Southern Ocean from the Cape Otway Lightstation.
- Visit the Flagstaff Maritime Village on the shipwreck coast.
- Come between June and October and watch out along the coast for southern right whales and blue whales.
- Head to the Grampians' many scenic lookouts. Take the easy way and cruise up by car to lookouts at Boroka, Reed and Mt William.
- Alternatively, make an afternoon of it and walk up to mounts Sturgeon and Stapylton, Boronia Peak, or The Pinnacle. Check walking times to make sure they're the right fit for your age and fitness.
- Get immersed into the 1850’s gold rush while panning for real gold at Ballarat's Sovereign Hill.
- Call into the Ballarat Wildlife Park for some up close fun with Australia’s wildlife.
These are just some ideas to help you have a great family holiday, a road trip to remember, to hold close as a memento of family times spent together.